Canelo vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. possible for 2017

December 12, 2016

By CJ Russell

Check out today’s “Blow-by-Blow” article – this is a new segment that will be recurring daily on OpeningRound.com that’s jammed packed with boxing news and analysis in a bullet-point style.  Today’s included a Mike Tyson-Anthony Joshua comparison, info about a possible Pacquiao-Canelo fight, and much more.  Let us know what you think!

So, this kind of came out of nowhere.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32KOs) fought for the first time in over a year on Saturday, where he earned a wide decision win against Dominik Britsch.  Chavez has had well documented issues with legal problems, has had trouble making weight, and has largely been inactive since his loss against Sergio Martinez in 2012.

He made weight no problem on Saturday though, coming in at 167.8lbs, which was below the super-middleweight limit and below the contracted weight of the fight, which was 169.

I guess making weight and winning a fight has boosted Chavez Jr.’s outlook on his career, because after the fight he called out Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin.  Seemed pretty ridiculous at that point, but apparently for Canelo’s promoter there’s nothing too ridiculous if you can make a couple bucks.

“[Canelo-Chavez] is a fight that interests a lot of people,” Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez told ESPN Deportes.  “We will see what happens.  To us it sounds like a very good fight for the fans.  But more than anything, all of Mexico is interested in the fight,”

“We will see, the problem is the weight, but there are also two or three other opponents being considered [for a February or May fight]..Billy Joe Saunders, David Lemieux.”

The weight would be a problem, because previously Golden Boy had said that Canelo would be staying at 154 for his first fight back from injury.  They would want to negotiate a catch-weight with a rehydration clause.

“Let’s see.  We would have to figure out what weight and talk with Saul… he would have to agree [on the weight] because it is going up by 10 or 11 pounds,” Gomez said.  More than anything he and his team would have to see if there is a weight limit needed for the following day.”

This fight would definitely be huge in Mexico, but I don’t think any hardcore boxing fan would appreciate it happening.  It would be a total mismatch.  There are some pros and cons for Canelo here, though.

The pro is that he would make a ton of money and would win easily (pretty strong pro from Canelo’s perspective).  A con is that he could miss a shot at getting Billy Joe Saunders’ middleweight title (can’t imagine he’ll be able to win another defense), which I assume he would want from a negotiating standpoint if he is actually trying to face Gennady Golovkin at the end of the year (which I bet they’ll stretch it out another year at least, so that may or may not be a factor).

The other con is that I’ve been speculating that a mega-fight between Canelo and Manny Pacquiao is in the works for mid to late 2017.  I’m not sure if Canelo fighting Chavez Jr. at a catchweight (which I assume would be in the mid to upper 160’s) would throw a wrench in that or not.  Gomez did seem concerned about the weight, and possibly wants to keep Canelo lighter so that a fight between him and Pacquiao can happen.

This story will be ongoing of course, and it will be interesting to see what Canelo decides to do in 2017.  Hopefully he doesn’t take the path of least resistance. I’d imagine it’ll be the path of “most money,” but you could say that for pretty much every fighter.

 

Tags
            Array
(
)
                        
Boxers
Loading...