Lomachenko vs Salido II could be in March
December 7, 2016
By CJ Russell
After his dominating win where he made Nicholas Walters quit on his stool, a few names were thrown out as to who Vasyl Lomachenko would face next. Lomachenko himself said that he’d like to unify the super featherweight belts against Francisco Vargas.
Last week we found out the Vargas fight won’t be Lomachenko’s next, because Vargas will be fighting Miguel Berchelt on January 28th. Lomachenko-Vargas might never happen now, because all signs point to Lomachenko moving up in weight class next in the middle of next year.
The other name that was thrown out was Orlando Salido, who Lomachenko’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank said he would like his fighter to face in 2017 (along with Terry Flanagan and Manny Pacquiao).
Salido gave Lomachenko his lone loss in 2014 when Salido came in well over weight and used various “veteran tactics” such as low blows that the official was seemingly ignoring. With Lomachenko’s lack of pro experience at that point, he didn’t handle it as well as he could have, although he still went the distance and actually came close to KO’ing Salido in the 12th round.
Lomachenko has said that he wants to fight Salido again on multiple occasions, and Salido has said he’d be willing. Now it’s looking like the rematch has a good chance of happening. Salido’s adviser Sean Gibbons spoke to BoxingScene.com yesterday and said “We had a couple of discussions with Top Rank, with Bob Arum, and all parties are very committed to making the Lomachenko fight. That’s a fight that Orlando’s wanted for a long time.”
“He’s just sick of hearing about the weight and hearing about the low blows and hearing about every excuse someone can make for Lomachenko. Lomachenko to his credit didn’t make any excuses, he took the loss like a man. So with that said we need to have closure to the whole incident – get the fight done. When Bob comes back we’ll talk. He said ‘Give me that numbers, I want everything when I come back from New Zealand [for the Parker-Ruiz fight] and we’re looking to make the fight for March, absolutely.”
Kind of a weird comment that Salido is sick of hearing about the the low blows. Maybe he shouldn’t have thrown them, what would you expect? You do have to give him some credit though for willing to take the rematch so that the record can be set straight.
I will say that this fight is two years late. I would have been interested in an immediate rematch, but I don’t see the point of doing one now. I don’t think that Lomachenko has anything to prove anymore when it comes to this, and even if he did it’s too late. Salido has aged a lot since 2014 (and hasn’t actually beaten anyone since then, though he’s been in some great fights), and I am doubting whether this will be a competitive matchup. It’s good that it’s looking like they’re going to get it out of the way quickly though, so that Lomachenko (assuming he wins) can move on the bigger and better things.
Like us on Facebook and check out our homepage at OpeningRound.com!
Follow us on Twitter!