Pac may not fight till June, Arum talks opposition

December 13, 2016

If you were hoping to see Manny Pacquiao back in the ring at the beginning of next year, you might have to wait a little longer.

According to BoxingScene, Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank said that Pacquiao’s next fight might not be till June.  His reason was kind of interesting:

“Manny’s fight could be as late as June.  He’s gonna fight twice a year, so if he fights in June and fights in November, that’s OK.  And I wanna get away from the cards that are on pay-per-view that shouldn’t be on pay-per-view.”

I assume that the fight he’s referring to is the atrocious James Kirkland vs Miguel Cotto PPV on February 25th. What Arum thinks it would accomplish to get Pacquiao away from that card isn’t clear to me.

I guess if you’d asked me how many times Pacquiao would fight next year I would have probably have said two, so I guess this isn’t all that surprising.  Pacquiao is busy to say the least, though I wouldn’t have thought they’d wait till June.

As for who Pacquiao would want to face, Arum said it’s all up to Pacquiao.  Terence Crawford is an option, but Arum said that both Pacquiao and Roach have been reluctant to face him.  Roach has previously expressed that.  There isn’t a direct quote from Arum stating what Pacquiao said about Crawford.  Pacquiao has said that he would face him previously (after he fought Jessie Vargas), so I’m not sure what the reference to Pacquiao not wanting to face Crawford entails.

Any plans that Pacquiao has opposition would change if Floyd Mayweather Jr. comes out of retirement, but Arum says, “I’m not holding my breath.  But obviously, if Floyd decides to come back and wants to fight Manny, that’s the fight we would work on.  But there’s no indication that that’s the case.”

Tags
            Array
(
)
                        
Boxers
Loading...